Day 69: Thu 30 Jul 26 - Yulara (Kata Tjuta)

Thu 30 Jul  26 - Yulara

5 Deg feeling like 2, reaching a modest 17 Deg, clear with fresh easterly winds.

I set of this morning at 06:40 for a 35km drive to the Kata Tjuta desert viewing platform to watch the sunrise. Unfortunately, I was about 20 minutes late for the golden hour light, and but I still managed to grab a few good snaps. From there I drove another 18km to the Valley of the Winds walk carpark at Kata Tjuta, where I found myself to be the first visitor in the carpark (which was full by the time I left about 3 hours later). My excitement didn't last long as a bus load of asian tourists arrived shortly after, and any sense of peace and tranquility quickly disappeared. The full circuit of Valleys of the Winds is steep, rocky and rugged with two main lookouts, and 8km took just under 3 hours (but that included lots of photo stops). It's also quite appropriately named, as the wind seemed so much stronger, and colder, through the gorges. It would have been so much more enjoyable without the bus load of people following, but it was a wonderful experience nonetheless. Back at the carpark, I had some lunch, then drove to nearby Walpa Gorge for a much shorter 4km (1hour) hike into the gorge and back. At first, it seemed a little bland, but at the end of the Gorge (an out and back trail), I was the only person there, and it was quite a special feeling in such a large space surrounded by the high rocky walls - and very cold. At the furtherest point in the gorge, I found a rock pool, and had some fun photographing reflections before making my way back to the car park. After leaving the Walpa Gorge, I stopped briefly at the Sunset Viewing area for a few more photos tof Kata Tjuta (Olgas) then returned home, for caffeine and a snooze. While I was out enjoying myself, Noel spent the day entertaining Olli, completely satisfied with having a relaxing day. Another magnificent day. 

A bit late to post as I had some overseas calls last night and was a bit too tired to finish it.

Kata Tjuta Sunrise

Kata Tjuta Sunrise

Kata Tjuta Sunrise


Kata Tjuta Sunrise

Entering the Valley of the Winds walk

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds
Valley of the Winds
Valley of the Winds
Valley of the Winds


Valley of the Winds

Valley of the Winds

Walpa Gorge Walk

Walpa Gorge Walk

Walpa Gorge Walk

Walpa Gorge Walk


Walpa Gorge Walk

Walpa Gorge Walk

Walpa Gorge Walk

Kata Tjuta Sunset Lookout view point

Kata Tjuta Sunset Lookout

Kata Tjuta Sunset Lookout

 
Kata Tjuta


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 8-27 Sat 30 May - Thu 18 Jun 26 - Gladstone (New daily posts at the top of this page)

Day 50: Sat 11 Jul 26 - Dinosaur Creek to Cloncurry

Day 2: Sun 24 May 26 - Molong to Coonabarabran