Days 8-27 Sat 30 May - Thu 18 Jun 26 - Gladstone (New daily posts at the top of this page)

Sat 30 May - Thu 18 Jun 26 - Gladstone & Rockhampton

New daily posts added below.

Thu 18  Jun:  17 to 24 Degrees, mostly clear with light easterly winds.

I started the day with another long morning walk then took Mum to a GP appointment as a follow up to her surgery so I could join her while I'm still in town - needless to say, Dr Abi was thrilled to see Mum smiling and pain free again. With us leaving Gladstone tomorrow, I had a few more odd jobs to finish and appointments to schedule - in home Physio appointment Tue, GP review Wed and Orthopaedic post-surgery review in July. Meanwhile Noeleene was busy in the Greenhouse and Olli was running himself into the ground playing with Greg's dog 'Whiskey'. After lunch, school mate Barry and Helen dropped by Mum's for a visit for a couple of hours, and it was great to catch up. A few more farewells followed, then we had dinner with Mum before returning to the van, ready for bed. It's been a very busy day, and preparations for packing and leaving will need to be done in the morning. We'll have to check the back seat tomorrow before be leave to make sure that Olli hasn't been hustled away - Mum has certainly taken a shine to him - I think they will both miss each other. 

Morning mangrove walk at Barney Point

Morning mangrove walk at Barney Point


Morning mangrove walk at Barney Point

Wed 17  Jun:  17 to 24 Degrees, cloudy in the morning, then mostly clear with strong easterly winds all afternoon.

Another busy day with not much to report apart from finishing off some odd jobs that I had started for Mum, then a pizza night with younger brother Jason watching the State of  Origin. It was a lovely evening topped off by a great result. The highlight of the day was watching Mum and seeing her smiling and pain free one week after her surgery. Still frustrated by her loss of strength and mobility, and tightness in her back and hips, and loss of sensitivity and tingling in her right foot, she is constantly reminded that it is only 7 days since major surgery, and she has already far exceeded all expectations. Slowly does it...

Good to see these smiles again.

Tue 16  Jun:  17 to 25 Degrees, cloudy with light rain mid morning, then mostly clear with strong easterly winds all afternoon.

I managed to get my backside out the door for an early walk around Barney Point on a mild cloudy morning, before returning for breakfast. Apart from a few domestic duties, the rest of the day was very social, including a visit to Mum. We then left Olli with her for a few hours of doggy daycare while Noel and I went out for a lunch date with an old school mate and his wife who we haven't seen for more than 30 years. Afterwards, we returned to Mum to save her from the hound, then Noel returned to the van, while I caught up with my youngest brother Jason for a couple of refreshments at Wards Brewery. By the time Jason dropped me back at the caravan, I wondered where the day had gone, but it was a very enjoyable day. It was nice to get out again this morning too and take a few photos.

Morning Mangrove walk - Barney Point

Morning Mangrove walk - Barney Point

Morning Mangrove walk - Barney Point

Morning Mangrove walk - Barney Point

Barney Point Beach

Barney Point Beach

Barney Point Beach

Quenching my thirst with a dark ale after a very social day

Mon 15  Jun:  19 to 25 Degrees (still 20 Deg at 7pm), mostly clear with with strong south easterly winds all day

Sleeping in late seems to be becoming a regular occurrence for us, as we climbed out of bed at 07:00, then sat around for another hour sipping our morning brew.  Having decided to move on from Gladstone on Friday, we booked our next 12 nights accomodation - 8 nights at Emu Park and 4 nights at nearby Yeppoon. Caravan sites in the area were already tight due to the peak season and school holiday bookings, leading to premium prices being paid. We loved Emu Park last year, and Yeppoon was always on our agenda to stay at again. After locking in our bookings, we went to visit Mum, then Noel and I headed off for brunch and some 'us' time. Afterward, we returned to the van to catch up on some admin, and make some post -surgery (orthopaedic, GP and physio) appointments for Mum. The good news is Mum is still pain free, although she did get frustrated today with tightness in her back and ongoing tingling in her right foot. Overall, we are thrilled with Mum's transformation within only five days. We couldn't have asked for a better outcome (touch wood her progress continues). We had a quiet afternoon at the van doing some chores, followed by a short walk and quick visit to Mum, before returning to the van for dinner and an early night. We won't be sad to leave the horrible caustic smell from QAL blow-offs every night. No Photos again.    

Sun 14  Jun:  17 to 25 Degrees, partly cloudy with strong easterly winds all day. 

Nothing exciting to report today. Noel and I, ably assisted by my youngest brother Jason, had a day in Mum's front garden cutting back the jungle and clearing the undergrowth. Five hours later we sat back with a cold beer and admired the transformation. Noel and I have decided to move on next Friday, so the backyard will be a job for another day by someone else. I quickly put my garden tools away, then turned too in the kitchen to cook a roast pork dinner. Feeling sore and tired from the gardening, I regretted offering to cook dinner, but sitting down for the meal, my sorrow quickly turned to joy - it was yummy. It was a case of eat and run, and back at the van after a shower, I was in bed much earlier than usual. No Photos

Sat 13  Jun:  19 to 25 Degrees, partly cloudy with strong easterly winds all day. 

I had a nice long sleep-in today, before venturing out with Noel (and Olli) for morning coffee at Auckland Hill, then I called in visit Mum and 3 of my 4 brothers who were also visiting. Mum had a very peaceful sleep overnight, and even notched up a third consecutive pain free night. I went back to the van for a late lunch followed by a long snooze, then Noel and I drove out to Bunnings to get a few things for Mum's lounge room. We returned to Mum's for a couple of hours later in the afternoon, then returned to the van for the evening. Dinner (for me) tonight was a very nice piece of Red Emporer purchased from the fresh seafood van located on weekends at the show grounds. I felt very tired all day, and was glad for an early night.

Fri 12  Jun:  19 to 26 Degrees, clear with with a light easterly breeze

I was up at the hospital at 07:30 and Mum had her fist full pain free night for at least 6 months. I arrived in time to sit in on the orthopaedic and pain management team reviews, and clearance to go home today was dependant on the physio review. Her physio assessment was to walk a short distance with the aid of her wheelie walker, and then to walk up and down three sets of steps, both of which she did without concern. The only concern from the Physio was some loss of strength and control in her right foot that might fatigue and become a trip hazard if not careful, but we will monitor that over the coming weeks. My biggest concern was getting Mum into and out of her small car, and driving her 90 minutes down the Bruce Highway to Gladstone, but all agreed she was up for it. Geoff and Sharon came back for another visit this morning on their way to visit other siblings in Yeppoon, meanwhile, Mum was unplugged from her monitors and catheters, before showering and getting changed into her 'go home cloths'. Eventually after all the discharge paperwork was provided, we were escorted to the front door and left for a steady drive home. We had one stop on the way for Mum to stretch her legs, and arrived back in Gladstone shortly before 4pm, thankfully safe and sound. as expected, Mum was thrilled  to be back home, but more-so that she was still pain free. It was a big day for her, and it's amazing that she was able to do it all within 48 hours of spinal surgery. Needless to say, she was in bed very quickly after dinner, as was I. No photos.

Thu 11  Jun:  19 to 26 Degrees, clear with with a light easterly breeze

A remarkable day - Mum has exceeded all expectations. Mostly pain free overnight, she was up for a very short walk less than 24 hours after spinal surgery. She was a bit sore afterwards, but the pain quickly subsided. She was then able to sit upright for a few hours in a chair, again mostly without pain, something she hasn't been able to do for months. It appears that she has lost some foot strength, control and sensation, but it might come back over time. I arrived at 07:30 and left at 16:00, and Mum had visitors most of the day, including from Stella, a niece who lives locally, and a younger brother Geoff and his wife Sharon who drove from Mackay to see her. Later in the afternoon, sadly after I left, another of Mum's younger brother's Eddie arrived  for a surprise visit. I have not seen Mum this happy in years. I was planning to return to Gladstone this afternoon, but after the Orthopaedic and physiotherapist reviews this morning, all indications are Mum may be allowed to go home tomorrow - a remarkable outcome if it eventuates. As such I decided  late in the afternoon to stay another night, in anticipation of being able to take her home to Gladstone, rather than having to drive back to get her. 

As such, I booked another night at the same motel I've been staying at, and despite being tired from waking early at 03:00am, after checking into my room, I went for a nice long walk, ordered some thai takeaway for dinner on the way back to my room, and had a glass of red - and early night.  


First steps (and loose undies) and a sore bum...sorry Mum)

Surprise visit from younger brother Geoff who lives north of Mackay

Afternoon walk in Rocky on a beautiful evening

Afternoon walk in Rocky on a beautiful evening

Another surprise visit - younger brother - Eddie

Wed 10  Jun:  19 to 26 Degrees, partly cloudy  with light easterly winds. 

Sharing a room with Mum last night made me realise just how much pain she has been tolerating - I don't know how she has got through the past 6 months like this. Needless to say, there was a lot of broken sleep last night, and we were up early at 05:30 feeling tired and anxious about the day ahead. Once the pre fasting preps were taken, I drove Mum to hospital to check-in for surgery at 07:30. After all the pre-surgery checks and preps, she was wheeled away into theatre at 09:00, and I left her to get food and a much needed caffeine fix, and a short stroll along the riverwalk. Back at the hospital again at 11:00, I waited for Mum to come out of theatre. She took a lot longer than expected, but was eventually transferred from recovery to the surgical ward at 14:00, and by all accounts, everything went well. Due to the months of nerve compression and a sudden release, as well as possible inflammation from the surgery, Mum had a return of bad hip/leg pain in the afternoon, and this upset her deeply. She thought it had all been a waste of time, and that nothing had changed. I called for the doctors, and they managed to settle her with their explanation, and said it may take weeks or months, but the pain should eventually subside. Within an hour she was not feeling that pain, and feeling much more positive. I had been keeping family near and far updated throughout the day, and eventually left Mum at 18:30 with one of my cousins who came to visit. On the way back to my motel, I stopped at a nearby pub for a hearty feed and cold beer. Tomorrow morning, I plan to return to the hospital, hopefully in time for morning rounds for a report of her progress before deciding if I return to Gladstone or not. Mum is not aware of a couple planned visits from family tomorrow, so that will be a nice surprise for her,

A short stroll in Rocky - the path ahead

A short stroll in Rocky

A short stroll in Rocky

Sustenance

Tue 09  Jun:  18 Degrees with strong winds and showers all morning in Gladstone, to 25 Degrees and cloudy in Rockhampton.

It was a fresh and rainy morning, so a good opportunity to relax in the van for the morning, before packing a few cloths for a few days away in Rockhampton. I picked up Mum shortly before 2:00pm and drove her to Rockhampton (for me a 2-night stay this stage - Mum a little longer). Tomorrow morning I will take Mum to the hospital by 07:30 for spinal surgery. She is the second of only two surgeries booked tomorrow, with the first being only a 15 minute job, so hopefully Mum doesn't get bumped for a higher priority or some other issue. It's only 8 days since she saw the specialist and it was decided to operate, so I would expect Mum's priority is pretty high. We checked into a very average motel in Rockhampton (it was unbelievably difficult to find a vacant room in Rocky), but it has a bed and hot shower - all we need. After settling Mum in the room, I went for a nice long walk around the local streets (about 3.5km from the hospital),  and spent the rest of the evening sending update texts and messages to family before we had dinner in the room and an early night. No photos today.

Mon 08 Jun:  17 to 24 Degrees, cloudy with strong fresh SE Winds all day.

An early coffee with Mum, before some domestic duties around the caravan, then I took Mum for her pre-op blood tests, which took much longer than expected, but we got there. It was a very quiet afternoon; too windy to ride, and too little enthusiasm for anything really, so I succumbed to a very pleasant afternoon nap. Meanwhile Noel cooked a hearty minestrone soup for dinner at Mum's, which was very tasty, then we returned to the van for the evening. Tomorrow I will drive Mum to Rockhampton for an overnight stay, and early admission to Rocky hospital on Wednesday to rid her of this terrible pain that she has put up with for the past 6 months 🤞🤞🤞. No photos today. 

Sun 07 Jun:  18 to 25 Degrees, clear, sunny and fresh at times with the SE Wind.

Nothing of significance to report today - a sleep in, before a short walk with Olli, then a late visit to Mum's before returning to the van to reshuffle a few things and try to find a fault with the electric hotplate which has stopped working. After pulling the stove and oven out, I couldn't find anything obviously wrong, so re installed it, assuming the element has died. Noel did some shopping for Mum in the afternoon, while I booked accomodation for Rockhampton while Mum is in hospital, then sorted out a few things in Mum's lounge room (of course it involved a trip to Bunnings), then we returned to the van for the evening. No photos today. 

Sat 06 Jun:  Quite a fresh day - by Gladstone standards. Still, managed to spend the day in shorts, but occasionally with a long top. 10 to 23 Degrees, clear and sunny with a fresh SW Wind.

A slow start to the day, feeling tired from the drive to Rockhampton and running around yesterday. I forced myself out for a short walk, which was followed by a very pleasant family gathering (less Mum) at Spinnaker Park for coffee/brunch, then the rest of the day was sitting around at Mum's house catching up with family. I managed to escape for a short ride later in the day, before Rasharn and Dylon, who drove up from Gin Gin, joined us for dinner at Mum's (thanks Michelle). Looking forward to a quiet day tomorrow.

Another lovely winter's day in Gladstone

Fri 05 Jun: 13 to 23 Degrees, clear and sunny with SW Winds

A nice long walk to start the day, then I left at 1030 to drive Mum to Rockhampton for her pre-admission checks, tests, briefings and anaesthetist review at the hospital , while Noel stayed behind in Gladstone with Olli. All staff at the hospital were wonderful, but the anaesthetist was just outstanding. The anaesthetist checked, and was scheduled for the day off work for the day of Mum's surgery, and specialising in spinal surgery, she is seeking to be the senior anaesthetist on during Mum's surgery. 90 minutes after arriving, and with everything complete, we climbed back in the car and headed back to Gladstone. The important take-away is Mum is a a very healthy 84 year old with no issues of concern for surgery at her age, and 'good-to-go' next week. Arriving back in Gladstone at 4pm after a lot of driving in heavy traffic, we had dinner by ourselves at the van, followed by a couple of glasses of red wine watching the footy. 

Morning Walk

Morning Walk

Morning Walk

Morning Walk - QAL in the distance

Olli exhausted after a day playing with Whiskey (Brother Greg's Dog)

Thu 04 Jun: 15 to 27 Degrees, clear and sunny - more unbelievable weather

An early rise and a long walk over Radar Hill, through town and back to Mum's where I spent the most of the day with Mum and Noel. Between phone calls, a telehealth with Mum's GP, collecting scripts and filling out more paperwork, Noel and I gave Mum's lounge room a spring clean and a bit of a rearrangement. Before we knew it, another day had passed.  we had our long-awaited Reef fish and chips for dinner with Mum before returning to the van for the night. No new photos today.

Wed 03 Jun: 18 to 29 Degrees, clear and sunny - unbelievable weather for winter.

An early phone call from Rockhampton Hospital offering a spot for Mum for spinal surgery next Wednesday caught us by surprise. A quick chat with Mum and the decision was made to go ahead. Several calls later, and a lots of paperwork, everything was locked in. Unfortunately, because of the quick turnaround, I will take Mum to Rocky hospital on Friday for pre-admission. After spending the day with Mum, we returned to the van for dinner and had an early night. No photos today.

Tue 02 Jun: 14 to 26 Degrees, clear and sunny.

Not much to report today other than taking Mum to see a visiting Hip Specialist at Gladstone Hospital for a second opinion about her ongoing back/hip and leg nerve pain issues. The final verdict after consultation between 2 orthopaedic specialists is spinal surgery to free up the nerve at the L3/L4 & L4/L5, not a good outcome, but the only option available for Mum to live without pain. Noeleene took Olli to be groomed today, then after a late afternoon walk, we had dinner with Mum, then returned to the van for the night.

Puppy Love ❤️…

Mon 01 Jun: 12 to 24 Degrees, clear and sunny - more perfect weather. 

A busy day, but not sure what was achieved. Noel and I had some admin to work through this morning  before Noel set off to buy and hang new curtains for Mum's lounge room. Meanwhile I set off to walk Olli around East Shores followed by coffee at the Auckland Hill lookout, on an unbelievable winter's day. SIMPLY STUNNING.... Back at Mum's I did a few admin tasks, went for a late afternoon ride around town, then popped over to help my technically challenged brother sort out some IT issues, before returning to the van for dinner and a quiet night.

Morning walk around East Shores at Gladstone Harbour

Morning walk around East Shores at Gladstone Harbour

Morning walk around East Shores at Gladstone Harbour

Morning walk around East Shores at Gladstone Harbour

Morning walk around East Shores at Gladstone Harbour

Morning brew at Auckland Hill lookout

Morning brew at Auckland Hill lookout

Sun 31 May: 13 to 25 Degrees, clear and sunny with a light south-westerly breeze. Another magnificent day of weather.

Another very quiet day. While Noel did some washing and cleaning, then shopping, I took the ute through a nearby laserwash,  and for $20, it did a good job of removing all the mud, bugs and road grime from the drive from Canberra. Next up, I refuelled (last fuel taken was more than 720km ago at Goondiwindi), then I returned to the van to do some minor maintenance on the stove top and the door vent. A late afternoon bike ride around the harbour then dinner with Mum capped of the day. No photos today.


Sat 30 May: 13 to 25 Degrees, clear and sunny with light westerly winds - perfect weather.

A day catching up with family - nothing substantial to report, not even one photo. 












Comments

  1. So happy for your mum that surgery went well. I trust the medical staff will also explain that the surgical incision site will hurt almost as bad as the back pain, but only for a short while. That’s what happened with my spinal surgery anyway. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your mum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 50: Sat 11 Jul 26 - Dinosaur Creek to Cloncurry

Day 2: Sun 24 May 26 - Molong to Coonabarabran